1. Burr ML, Butland BK. Heart disease in British vegetarians. Am J Clin Nut. 1988; 48:830-832.
2. Fraser GE. Determinants of ischemic heart disease in Seventh-Day Adventists: a review. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48:833-836.
3. Ornish D, Brown S, Scherwitz L, Billings J, Armstrong W, Ports T, McLanahan S, Kirkeeide R, Brand R, Gould KL. Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease? Lancet. 1990;336:129-133.
4. Kestin M, Rouse I, Correll R, Nestel P. Cardiovascular disease risk factors in free-living men: comparison of two prudent diets, one based on lactoovovegetarianism and the other allowing lean meat. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989;50:280-287.
5. Beilin, LJ, Rouse IL, Armstrong BK, Margetts BM, Vandongen R. Vegetarian diet and blood pressure levels: incidental or causal association? Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48:806-810.
6. Phillips R, Snowdon D. Association of meat and coffee use with cancers of the large bowel, breast, and prostate among Seventh-Day Adventists: preliminary results. Cancer Res. 1983;45 (suppl):2403-2408.
7. Turjiman N, Goodman GT, Jaeger B, Nair PP. Diet, nutrition intake and metabolism in populations at high and low risk for colon cancer: metabolism of bile acids. Am J Clin Nutr. 1984;4:937.
8. Colditz G, Stampfer M, Willet W. Diet and lung cancer: a review of the epidemiological evidence in humans. Arch Intern Med. 1987;147:157.
9. Chen J, Campbell TC, Li J, Peto R. In: Diet, Life-style and Mortality in China. A study of the characteristics of 65 Counties. Oxford University Press, Cornell University Press, and the China People's Medical Publishing House; 1990.
10. Bergan JC, Brown PT. Nutritional status of new vegetarians. J Am Diet Assoc. 1980;76:151-155.
11. Nieman DC, Underwood BC, Sherman KM, Arabatzis K, Barbosa JC, Johnson M, Shultz TD. Dietary status of Seventh-Day Adventist vegetarian and non-vegetarian elderly women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1989;89:1763-1769.
12. Young VR. Soy protein in relation to human protein and amino acid nutrition. J Am Diet Assoc. 1991;91:828-835.
13. Food and Nutrition Board. Recommended Dietary Allowances. 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1989.
14. Herbert V. Vitamin B12: plant sources, requirements, assay. In: Mutch PB, Johnston PK, eds. First International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988; 48:452.
15. Heaney R, Weaver C. Calcium absorption from kale. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;51:656.
16. Zemel M. Calcium utilization: effect of varying level and source of dietary protein. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48:880.
17. Marsh A, Sanchez T, Michelsen O, Chaffee F, Fagal S. Vegetarian lifestyle and bone mineral density. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48:837-841.
18. Hambige K, Casey C, Krebs N. Zinc. In: Mertz W, ed. Trace Elements in Human and Animal Nutrition. Vol 2. 5th ed. Orlando, Fla: Academic Press; 1986.
19. Sabate J, Lindsted K, Harris R. Sanchez A. Attained height of lacto-ovo vegetarian children and adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991;45:51-58.
20. O'Connell J, Dibley M, Sierra J, Wallace B, Marks J, Yip R. Growth of vegetarian children: the Farm study. Pediatrics. 1989;84:475-480.
21. Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Nutrition During Lactation. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1991.
22. Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Nutrition During Pregnancy. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1991.
23. Eating Well--The Vegetarian Way. Chicago, Ill: American Dietetic Association; 1992.
24. Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 3rd ed. Washington, DC: US Dept of Agriculture and US Dept of Health and Human Services; 1990.
ADA Position adopted by the House of Delegates on October 18, 1987, and reaffirmed on September 12, 1992. The update will be in effect until October 1997.
Recognition is given to the following for their contributions:
Suzanne Havala, MS, RD; Johanna Dwyer, DSc, RD
Phyllis Acosta, RD; Patricia Johnston, DrPH, RD; Mary Clifford, RD; Vegetarian Nutrition dietetic practice group: Winston Craig, PhD, RD, and Virginia Messina, MPH, RD; Pediatric Nutrition dietetic practice group
This position paper was published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, November 1993, Volume 93, Number 11. Reprinted by permission, The American Dietetic Association, 216 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60606-6995